In Support of Refugees: A subcommittee has been formed, devoted to working with HIAS (the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) and with other faith groups in New Rochelle and Westchester to welcome and support refugee families to our community. How you can make a difference? See below!
Rabbi Weiner's Post on Facebook
From the Social Action Committee
In response to President Trump's Executive Order on immigration and refugees, Rabbi Weiner released a statement which read, in part:
"Temple Israel has a long and honored tradition of standing up for human rights and social justice. That is why, nearly two years ago, we were among the first to join Call to Action Hudson Valley, a partnership of community organizations in our area helping to resettle Syrian refugees in our community. This had the universal backing of our Social Action Committee and our Board of Trustees. We have also partnered with HIAS - the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society - which once helped resettle hundreds of thousands of Jewish refugees, including many of our family members and now is a key player in resettling Syrians. They have helped us form our own local resettlement group, the Interfaith Council for New Americans, with Beth El Synagogue Center, Temple Israel Center of White Plains, the United Methodist Church of New Rochelle, the Community Unitarian Universalist Congregation of White Plains and the Inter-religious Council of New Rochelle.
The Social Action Committee will continue to work for justice for all and on this issue, in particular. Below are some points of information you should be aware of and some action items in which we hope you will join us in the days and weeks ahead. We will turn our outrage into constructive efforts and actions. It is our Jewish imperative and Temple Israel of New Rochelle, as always, is joining the struggle.
* We continue to prepare to host a refugee family here in New Rochelle and we are collecting funds to support a family resettled here, or elsewhere. Click here to donate and/or volunteer.
* CANCELLED Due to Weather, March & Rally to Fight Fear With Facts! Event
Also important - stay in touch and stay informed!
* Send us an email if you'd like to join our Refugee Crisis email list at email@example.com
* Follow Temple Israel on Facebook for up to date information on activities here.
* Continue to visit us here, at the Temple's dedicated Refugee Crisis page with materials, information on actions being taken, how we are responding and how you can stay involved!